Healthy House Hunting: Tips to keep you sane during your search!
If you’ve been in the market to purchase a home, you know how all-consuming the house hunt can be! You wake up early and jump on the computer to check for a text or email from your REALTOR®, scour the online listings in all of your spare time, run by a house or two during your lunch break, return to the search when you get home, then fall into a restless sleep…only to repeat it all the next day. Searching for a home requires time and diligence, to be sure, but we’d like to share a few key tips to relieve some of the stress and save you some precious time!
- Prepare before you begin your search. Know your budget and have all of your finances in order. Get pre-approved for a loan. In this market, houses are going quickly! If you aren’t financially ready to purchase a home, you can waste a lot of time searching for homes that may no longer be available.
- Tour your city. Before you look, load up in the car, grab a beverage, put on your favorite tunes and take a drive! Check out the neighborhoods and see what speaks to you. Being familiar with the location, the schools, and the feel of each neighborhood will save you time and energy in your search.
- Rely on your REALTOR®. Have an honest conversation up front. Tell them what you’re looking for and where, what your non-negotiables are, etc. Agents often know ahead of time what’s about to hit the market before a house ever makes it to Zillow, so they can keep an eye out for your specific needs. He or she can even tour a house for you to help save time!
- Set boundaries. It’s vital to your mental and emotional health to set aside intentional “search free” time. Go for a run, play a game, or grab a bite to eat with a friend. Use this time to rest and refuel. Maintaining some normalcy will ensure you’re making the best decisions!
- Be patient and remain hopeful. When you feel discouraged, remember your end goal! Home ownership is one of the greatest investments you will ever make, and it’s worth waiting for! Trust that the right house will come at the right time. Trust your agent. Keep the faith! (Hint: if you haven’t done #1-4, you may find it harder to have patience).
We understand that life doesn’t stop while you’re looking for your new home, and we want to help! At LEAGUE, our motto is #readytoserve, which means it’s our job and our joy to come alongside you, to listen to what you want, and to help you find it! We’re well prepared and excited to assist you every step of the way!
For more helpful tips for buyers, check out this video! https://youtu.be/id68G0aNuiI